Friday, January 7, 2011

How to really miss a plane with a good hand of cards...

First full day in Istanbul.... we had planned sightseeing visit with my father and that evening were going to fly to Kayseri for a weekend trip to central Turkey and the region of Capadoccia.  Following instructions, we caught a ferry from the European side of Istanbul to the Asian side.  In just a few minutes we had passed from one continent to another. 

Meeting us at the other side was my father - as this was his home territory, we did not get lost this time.  He took us to one of the many Sultans' palaces - this one had been used only for hunting trips and entertaining hunting guests.  Extremely elaborate furniture and interior design gave us some indication of the lavish lifestyles of the Turkish sultans.  After outside inspection, we entered the building and I started clicking away with my camera.  A man started shouting at me in Turkish and chased me out of the building.  It was forbidden to take photos inside and also I was walking on the antique carpets with my big muddy boots.  Once I had put on the plastic shoes protectors which I have only seen before in CSI for crimes scenes, and  put my camera away, I was allowed to re-enter, suitably humbled.





Sultan's Hunting Palace




In the afternoon, I was able to get a glimpse into my father's everyday life as he showed me the areas where he worked and lived.  We travelled down a scenic road along the water's edge where he told us he cycled every Sunday.  At the end of the bicycle path he took us into a local chain restaurant which serves desserts and  we sat there talking, eating desserts and teaching each other card games.  At 5.00 pm mum hesistently asked how long it would take to get hanto the airport as our plane left at 6.00 pm and we may need to check in soon.  Dad said we would leave after the current game was finished when he casually strolled off to the bathroom and then to take care of the bill.  I could see that my mum was a little anxious and she was in a bit of a hurry once we arrive at the airport at 5.40 pm.  She clearly had doubts that we would be greeted with open arms at the check-in counter.  She was right.  This time the check-in was closed and no amount of begging or bribery would make a difference.  Oh dear.... now a scramble to find out if another flight was available that night.  At the Turkish airline office, we did not feel welcomed at all!  We were advised to go figure it out on the internet and buy another ticket online. They did not even want to tell us when the next flight would be!  Other discount airline staff were no more helpful as they did not speak English and did not seem keen to have us as guests on their airline.  Finally, we found a travel agent office who was able to make a booking for us with one of the airlines that had just rejected us.  We were now flying an hour and a half later than originally planned.


No comments:

Post a Comment